5 Tips For Adding Videos To Your Knowledge Base
The way business is done has changed a lot after the arrival and growth of the web. Online shopping is extremely popular and businesses are resorting to numerous web technologies to cater to shifting customer needs. Equipping the website with right tools and technologies has become extremely important for all businesses. The customers seek many things under one umbrella when visiting the websites of companies, as it is. Apart from buying stuff and services, they also use the site for leaving feedbacks, opinions and looking for useful information related to services/products. That is why a majority of companies develop a self support portal or knowledge base in their sites. This is usually done using knowledge base software.
Need to develop the knowledgebase and enrich it with right content
Developing a knowledgebase for your company has numerous benefits. The advantages include better customer retention, reduced workload for support agents and brand image development etc. However, the knowledgebase should be developed in proper way and it must be enriched with useful and relevant content. Apart from loading it with articles, you have to use other types of content too. These include images, flowcharts, PDFs, ebooks and videos. Using video in the section can be very useful for the customers. This is what a lot of companies are doing these days.
How using videos in knowledgebase can benefit the company and the customers
Video content can be used in both internal and external knowledge base of the companies. There are several benefits of using videos in these sections of company websites.
Benefits for the company workforce:
- Videos can be used to develop demo tutorials for several internal processes in the company. The employees can learn those processes better by watching the videos than by reading printed text.
- The videos can also be used to educate the newly inducted employees about company culture.
- Videos can also be deployed to enlighten the employees about sales training and company specific issues.
- The videos can be used to educate employees about possible hurdles faced in operation and even handling customers.
Benefits for the customers:
- In external knowledge base section of the company, video can be used to help customers troubleshoot common problems about the products. For a section of customers following video based troubleshooting is always easier compared to the other methods. They can use playback speed control to grasp the matter easily.
- For popular products sold by the company, using video guides for setup and installation can be helpful.
- Not all customers of your company will be proficient in English. With video, language barrier can be overcome easily. In fact, you can use video content with audio tracks in many languages- giving the customers wider choice. The communication gap is narrowed by using videos.
- Videos can get attention of the customers than static text- studies have revealed. This is more the case with the younger generation who are impatient when browsing the web.
How to add videos in your brand knowledgebase and enhance their utility
You can gain by utilizing the below listed tips to add videos to your brand’s knowledge base and enhance their usefulness:
- Use proper format and resolution- When adding the videos to the knowledgebase of the company, using the right resolution and format is necessary. Nowadays, you can use free help desk software that let you add video with options to scale down and up the resolution by end users. Not all customers have same type of devices and web browsers but the video should play back seamlessly everywhere. If the customers face hiccups in video playback, it defeats the purpose.
- Use subtitles with videos- Your Company may have customers who speak in different languages. So, for their sake you can think of using subtitles in different languages with the videos used in the brand’s knowledge base. The subtitles should have contrasting colors for legibility.
- Use videos for CTA- The videos used in the self support portal can be useful for CTA. The video ending can be used to direct the visitors to more and related resources. You can also share contact information at the end of videos. This way, the customers who want more clarification on queries can get in touch with support team instantly. This helps enhance customer engagement in the long run.
- Use videos in relevant way- Just like the overall content used in the company knowledge base, the videos have to be to the point and relevant for the visitors. Whether it is for demonstrating installation of a product or troubleshooting anything, do not make the video very long. It is okay to use a bit of humor in some cases with introduction but refrain from overdoing these. Make sure anything used in the video is not redundant. If there is any spokesperson in these videos, he/she should use simple language.
- Use context with videos- Instead of just inserting and using videos abruptly in the portal, it is better that you use a context. Using a short description with the video is prudent in this regard. However, do not make this context very long.
- Have a balance- Using the videos in the self support portal can be useful but you should use them with other types of content- in a balanced way. For example, the portal should have a fair amount of test and infographics too. Processes that are not too detailed may not require video guides at all times. From a practical perspective, you should not make the knowledgebase too large in size. This can have load time issues and lead to inconvenience for a section of users.
What else you need to check
To ensure the videos are actually useful to the end users, you need to take a few steps. These are:
- To understand the usefulness of the added videos you can make use of third party video analytics tools. These tools let you find details like how many times these videos are watched, re watched or turned off mid way. This way you can figure out viability of individual videos added to the portal.
- You can also set provision for sharing or downloading such video content for the users. However, this may not be possible for all cases- owing to copyright and digital property issues.
- After adding the videos to the portal, you need to check them. It needs to be seen if the videos have playback issues. Choppy playback, lack of audio video sync or rendering issues has to be checked carefully after adding the videos. You also need to check if the videos play back fine on mobile devices.
Summing it all up
So, you can see using videos in knowledge base of a company can be really useful- both for the customers and employees. However, you need to use the videos in right ways and ensure they serve the intended purpose. When used in the right manner, it helps boost customer engagement and fulfill their needs. After using the videos, their usefulness has to be assessed. Using suitable tools and web technologies is required to create and deploy the videos in self service portal.